Join the little big peeps community for free.

Accessing Financial and Practical Support

If your child is disabled, has a health condition or is seriously unwell, you may be entitled to support to help care for them. This can help you with managing both your day-to-day living and finances. Here is an introduction, including links, to the services that could be of use to you and your family.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

If your child is under 16 and has a health condition or disability you can apply to receive DLA, known as PIP for children over 16. For more information call the Disability Living Allowance Helpline on 0345 712 3456 (textphone: 0345 722 4433) or follow this link.

Or click on the DLA claim form to apply for Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

If your application for DLA is successful it is also worth looking into whether you are entitled to an increase in means tested benefits, including Child Tax Allowance, Income Support, Universal Credit and Housing Benefit. For more information on increasing benefits call the Carers UK Adviceline on 0808 808 7777.

Carer’s Allowance

If you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week you may be able to claim Carer’s Allowance

Care Package

Contact your local council to enquire about services available to you. These may include short breaks, care at home or financial help.

Blue Badge

The blue badge can help make getting out and about easier, allowing you to park closer to your destination.

Direct Payments

Direct payments allow you to be in charge of organising and paying for additional support instead of the local council/ trust. Direct payments can run alongside a care package or be a stand-alone option. View more.

Disabled Facilities Grant

A grant is available if you need to make improvements to access or services in your home to meet the additional needs of your child.

Carers Trust

Carers Trust provides support and services to carers in the UK. Ensure you register with them and contact your local trust. Services available differ from one area to another but call up and find out what support is provided where you live.

Possible funding includes: a personal budget for a break from your caring role (gym membership, night away, a meal out etc), carers essential fund (money to repace broken white goods, up to £250) and funding for training to support you in your caring role. Click here to visit the their website and find out more.

Family Fund

If your child is disabled or seriously ill you can apply for fundingfor a range of support options that aren’t provided by your local authority. 


React is a charity who help children with life-limiting illnesses. They supply a varity of equipment from wheelchairs, beds, baths and mobility aids, to essential everyday items. The funding also includes educational equipment; React Holidays at one of React’s mobile holiday homes; and funding for bereavment expenses. Click here to view the website and apply for funding. 

Other support includes:

  • Hospital to Home Team: A team of GPs and nurses aim to provide care within your own home to treat a range of ‘straightforward’ conditions e.g. to re pass an NG tube. Check with your local hospital/ paediatrician to see if they have a Hospital to Home Team set up in your local area.
  • Open access to the children’s ward at your local hospital. Ask your paediatrician if you qualify for this.
  • Register as a carer with your GP surgery and you may be able to access funding. Ask your doctor for your local Trust’s contact details.

If you have other suggestions for finacnial or practical support please click here.